This vegan mac and cheese is a delicious, dairy-free version of the classic comfort food. Made with a creamy sauce of cashews and nutritional yeast, it’s sure to be a hit with vegans and non-vegans alike!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni (or other small pasta)
- Soak the cashews in hot water for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the cashews, then add them to a blender along with the nutritional yeast, olive oil, garlic, onion powder, sea salt, black pepper, lemon juice and vegetable broth or water.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
- Pour the blended cheese sauce over the macaroni and stir until combined.