Vanilla Kipferl are a delicious Viennese-style cookie, perfect for tea time or a special occasion. This recipe comes to us from the acclaimed pastry chef Christophe Felder.
- 150 g (5.3 oz) butter
- 75 g (2.6 oz) almond powder
- 75 g (2.6 oz) icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean
- 250 g (8.8 oz) white flour
- Cream together the butter, almond powder, and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time and mix until fully incorporated.
- Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with the tip of a knife. Add them to the mixture and mix again.
- Add in the flour and mix until all of the ingredients are well blended.
- Shape the dough into two logs about 3 cm (1 inch) in diameter, wrap them in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut the logs into discs about 5 mm (¼ inch) thick and place them on the prepared baking sheets, leaving some space between each cookie.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.