This tajine of chicken with olives is a classic dish from the North African cuisine. It’s a hearty and flavorful meal that can be served as a main course. The combination of spices, vegetables and olives give this dish a unique flavor that will delight your guests.
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth or water
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted and halved
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add the onions and sauté until they are softened and beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, cayenne pepper (if using), salt and pepper. Sauté for another minute until fragrant. li >< li > Add the chicken thighs to the pan and brown them on both sides. li >< li > Pour in the chicken broth or water and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and let cook for 20 minutes. li >< li > Add the olives and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. li >< li > Serve hot with couscous or rice. li >