This delicious Moroccan dish is sure to be the highlight of any dinner party. It features tender chicken, sweet figs and crunchy walnuts, all cooked in a savory sauce spiced with traditional North African flavors.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried figs, chopped
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cumin, ginger, turmeric and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute more.
Add the tomatoes and their juices, the chicken broth and figs. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Add the chicken pieces and simmer until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Stir in the walnuts. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Serve over couscous or rice.