This tajine of chicken with prunes is a classic Moroccan dish that’s full of flavor. It’s simple to make and packed with delicious ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes (dried or fresh)
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and spices and cook for 1 minute more. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, cinnamon stick and honey and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the prunes and simmer for 10 minutes more. Serve over couscous or rice.