This Moroccan chicken tajine is easy to make and full of flavor. The sweetness of the prunes pairs perfectly with the spices, making it a delicious meal for the whole family.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup dried prunes, halved
Heat the oil in a large tajine or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger, turmeric, cumin, chili powder and salt and cook for another minute.
Add the chicken pieces to the pan and cook until lightly browned on all sides. Add the broth, tomatoes and prunes and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
Serve with couscous or crusty bread.