This traditional North African dish is full of flavour. The slow cooking process helps to tenderise the chicken and the combination of spices creates a delicious, fragrant dish.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup green olives
In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until softened. Stir in the spice mixture and cook for 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes and chicken to the skillet and stir to coat. Reduce heat to low, cover skillet and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the chickpeas and olives and simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.