A tajine is a traditional North African dish made with meat, vegetables, and spices. This delicious chicken tajine recipe is an excellent way to explore the flavors of this unique cuisine.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup raisins or currants
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, and turmeric and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned on all sides. Pour in the broth and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Add the raisins or currants during the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Season with salt and pepper before serving.