Shorba Frik is a traditional Algerian dish made with chicken and vegetables, and it’s perfect for a hearty family meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, paprika, turmeric, and chili powder and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, chickpeas, chicken cubes, and frozen peas. Bring to a boil.