This delicious recipe of Poulet Basquaise is a favorite in the Basque Country. It is a simple and flavorful dish, with tender chicken pieces cooked in a creamy sauce made with peppers, onions, garlic and tomatoes. Serve it over a bed of rice for a hearty meal.
- 4 chicken thighs or breasts, bone-in and skin-on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken pieces and cook until golden brown, about 8 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add onion, bell peppers and garlic to the skillet; cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper and diced tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Return chicken to the skillet; reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.