This Lower Courtyard Gratin with Pasta is a delicious and easy-to-make meal that will be a hit with the whole family. It’s made with chicken, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, and herbs all baked together in a creamy cheese sauce. Served over hot pasta, this gratin is sure to be a hit.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces penne or other short pasta
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until golden brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add onion and mushrooms to the skillet; cook until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in parsley, oregano and pepper; cook for 1 minute more.
- Return bacon and chicken to the skillet; stir in tomatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spray an 8×8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread cooked pasta in an even layer on bottom of prepared pan.
- Top with chicken mixture; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on top.