This lemon meringue pie recipe is a classic dessert that’s sure to be a hit at any gathering. The tart lemon filling is balanced perfectly with a sweet and fluffy meringue topping. With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up this delicious dessert in no time.
- 1 9-inch pre-baked pastry shell
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- Meringue (recipe follows)
- Combine the sugar, flour and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in the water, butter, lemon rind and juice.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat. Gradually stir about one fourth of the hot mixture into beaten egg yolks; return to remaining hot mixture in saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Pour hot filling into pastry shell.