Making your own chicken broth is a great way to add flavor to your favorite recipes. It’s easy to do and much healthier than store-bought broth. Here’s how to make your own homemade chicken broth.
- In a large pot, combine 8 cups of water, 1 chopped onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks and 1 bay leaf.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and allow it to simmer for 1 hour.
- Add 2 pounds of chicken pieces (breasts or thighs) and season with salt and pepper.
- Continue to simmer for another 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside for another use.
- Strain the broth through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl or pot. Discard the vegetables.
- Let the broth cool before transferring it to an airtight container and refrigerating for up to 5 days or freezing for up to 3 months.
Looking for something different? Check out these easy tofu recipes Indian style!