Harira is a traditional Moroccan soup. It’s made with chicken, lentils, chickpeas and a combination of fragrant spices.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cumin and coriander and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Add the broth, chicken, chickpeas and lentils. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve warm with crusty bread or over cooked rice.