Gubana is a traditional Italian brioche popularly served during the Winter holidays. This sweet treat is made with raisins, candied fruits and nuts, giving it a unique flavor and texture. With its golden crust and light center, Gubana is an ideal accompaniment to your morning coffee or afternoon tea.
- 250g all-purpose flour
- 125ml warm milk
- 50g sugar
- 10g fresh yeast
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 125g butter, softened
- 100g raisins
- 50g candied fruits, chopped
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm milk. Add the sugar and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix until combined. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Slowly add the softened butter to the dough and mix until fully incorporated. Stir in the raisins, candied fruits and walnuts. li>< li >Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour. li >< li >Once doubled in size, turn out onto a floured surface, knead for 5 minutes then shape into a round loaf. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and let rise for 1 more hour. li >< li >Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Brush the loaf with an egg wash then bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. li >< li >Cool on a wire rack before serving. li >