This savory Gratin of Chicken and Sweet Cabbage is a delicious and comforting dish perfect for the colder months. With a creamy sauce and crunchy topping, it’s sure to be a hit with the entire family.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 head sweet cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (Gruyere or Cheddar)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat.
3. Add chicken breasts and cook until lightly browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove from skillet and set aside.
5. In the same skillet, add remaining butter and onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
6. Add garlic and thyme and cook for an additional minute.
7. Add flour and stir to combine.
8. Slowly add stock and milk while stirring constantly.
9. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
10. Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a greased baking dish or casserole dish.
11. Top with cabbage then pour sauce over top.
12. Sprinkle with cheese.
13. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.