A classic recipe passed down from generation to generation, Grandma’s Chicken in Sauce Canning is a tasty and easy way to preserve your chicken. This recipe will yield about 10-12 jars of delicious chicken in sauce that can last for up to one year.
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Place chicken in a roasting pan and bake for 1 hour, or until cooked through.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the pan and let cool. Reserve the cooking juices.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the reserved cooking juices and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the paprika, thyme, salt and pepper to the saucepan. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the cooled chicken into small pieces.
- Strain the sauce into a large bowl and discard any solids. Add in the shredded chicken and mix together. < li > Spoon the mixture into clean jars and seal tightly. Store in a cool dry place for up to one year. li > ol >