This Foie Gras Stuffed Chicken Baked in Hay, also known as Chapon au Foin, is a traditional French dish. The combination of the fragrant hay and tender chicken make for an unforgettable meal.
- 1 whole chicken, about 5-6 pounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces of foie gras, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 cups of hay or straw
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rub the chicken with the olive oil and season with the salt and pepper.
- Place the butter, thyme leaves and foie gras inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Line a roasting pan with a layer of hay or straw. Place the chicken on top and cover it completely with the remaining hay or straw.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.