This Creole-style chicken civet recipe is a classic from the island of Reunion. This flavorful dish comes together quickly and easily, making it an ideal weeknight meal. The combination of spices, tomatoes, and onion give the chicken a rich flavor that’s sure to please everyone. Serve it up with steamed rice or a side of vegetables for a complete meal.
- 4 chicken thighs, cut into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, with juice
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned on all sides.< li >Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.< li >Stir in the cumin, paprika, turmeric, coriander, chili powder and black pepper; cook for 1 minute.< li >Pour in the diced tomatoes with their juice and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.< li >Serve hot with steamed rice or vegetables.