Celebrate the holidays with your kids by making these delicious Christmas shortbread cookies. These melt-in-your-mouth shortbread cookies are perfect for the holiday season!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out the dough
- Pinch of salt
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Gradually add this mixture to the butter mixture, beating until just blended.
- Form the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch (6 mm) thickness.
- Cut out shapes using cookie cutters and place them on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until light golden brown around the edges.
- Let cool completely before serving.