This yummy Christmas Pavlova is a great way to celebrate the festive season. The crunchy meringue base is topped with cream and fresh fruit for a delicious, light dessert.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of cornflour
- 250ml thickened cream
- Assorted fresh fruit, such as strawberries and kiwifruit
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Add the cream of tartar and continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking well between each addition until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Fold through the vinegar and cornflour.
- Spoon the meringue onto the lined tray and shape into a 20cm (8-inch) circle, using the back of a spoon to make an indent in the centre.
- Bake for 1–1½ hours or until dry and crisp. Turn off oven and leave meringue in oven with door slightly open to cool completely.
- Whip the cream until thick. Spread over meringue and top with assorted fresh fruit.