This is a classic French Christmas recipe that will bring a festive flair to your holiday desserts. The combination of poached pears, crunchy almond calissons, and fluffy buttercream makes for a truly delicious take on the traditional buche de noel.
- 4 ripe pears, peeled and cored
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup almond calissons, chopped into small pieces
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the pears, sugar, water, cinnamon and nutmeg. Simmer until the pears are tender and the liquid has thickened to a syrup-like consistency, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Once cooled, mash the pears slightly with a fork.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. Fold in the mashed pears and calissons.
- Spread the mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet in an even layer. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting into slices.