Tamarind is a popular souring agent in many Southeast Asian dishes. This recipe pairs it with chicken to create an incredibly flavorful and savory dish. Serve it alongside steamed white rice for a complete meal.
- 1/4 cup tamarind paste
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a small bowl, mix together the tamarind paste and water until combined. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the tamarind mixture, fish sauce, and sugar to the skillet and stir to combine. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken cubes to the skillet and stir to combine. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.