This traditional Moroccan dish is a delicious combination of fragrant spices, tender chicken, earthy olives and the sweet citrus flavor of preserved lemon. Serve over couscous for a complete meal.
- 4 chicken thighs, skin on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 preserved lemon, rind minced (optional) li>
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs, skin side down and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn over and cook until the other side is golden brown as well, about 5 minutes more.
2. Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika and cayenne pepper (if using).
3. Pour in the chicken stock or water and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add the honey, lemon juice, olives and preserved lemon (if using). Simmer for an additional 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
5. Serve hot over couscous. p>