This Chicken Mexican Feuilleté is a delicious savory pastry that combines flavorful Mexican ingredients with an impressive braided presentation. It’s perfect for any occasion and is sure to be a hit.
- 500 g boneless chicken thighs, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package instructions
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water, for egg wash
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add the diced onion and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the diced chicken, bell pepper and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
4. Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika and season with salt and pepper.
5. Cook for another minute or two until the spices are fragrant.
6. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
7. On a lightly floured surface roll out one sheet of puff pastry into a 10×15 inch rectangle.
8. Cut the dough in half lengthwise creating two 10×7 1/2 inch rectangles.
9. Place one of the rectangles on a parchment lined baking sheet.
10. Place half of the chicken mixture down the center of the rectangle leaving a 1-inch border at each end.
11. Place the second rectangle overtop of the filling pressing down around the edges to seal them together.
. Cut 1/2 inch wide strips along each side of the rectangle starting at one end and stopping about an inch before you reach the other end.< 12>. Starting at one end begin braiding by folding alternating strips over each other until you reach the end.< 13>. Brush with egg wash and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.