This Chicken Curry from Reunion Island (974) is an easy and tasty dish that is sure to have your family asking for seconds! The flavors of the curry, garlic, and ginger come together perfectly to create an unforgettable meal. Serve with steamed rice or potatoes for a complete meal.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the curry powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper (if using). Add the tomato paste and stir until combined. Add the chicken cubes and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth or water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Serve hot over steamed rice or potatoes.