Chakchouka is a Tunisian-style dish of eggs poached in a pepper, tomato, and onion sauce. It’s a one-pot meal that’s hearty and full of flavor. Serve it with fresh crusty bread for a satisfying dinner.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the paprika, then add the tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Make four wells in the sauce and crack an egg into each well.
- Cover the skillet and simmer until the eggs are cooked to your desired doneness, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste before serving.