Butter chicken is a popular Indian dish with its origins in Punjab. It is composed of marinated chicken cooked in a rich, creamy curry sauce made with butter, tomato and spices. The dish has become so popular that it can now be found on the menus of many restaurants around the world.
- 1 kg boneless chicken pieces
- 3 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 200g butter, melted
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons red chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 250ml single cream or coconut milk
- Marinate the chicken pieces in ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, ground coriander and garam masala for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the marinated chicken for about 10 minutes on medium flame until golden brown.
- Add the melted butter and fry it for another 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, onions, cumin powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder to the pan and fry it for another 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato purée and chopped tomatoes to the pan and simmer it for 20 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add the cream or coconut milk to the sauce and simmer it for another 10 minutes.